Shekou International School offers a rigorous education in a caring and culturally diverse setting. Our program prepares students for admission to leading universities around the world and our students perform well above IB world average scores. If you are an academically strong student that is involved in your school and community, you may be eligible for an SIS merit-based academic scholarship.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Students not currently enrolled at SIS and who have not been a student at SIS for the previous academic year
- Students who intend to graduate with an SIS diploma
- Students entering grades 9 through 11
- Students holding a foreign passport or ID
- Students with high English proficiency
- Students with demonstrated high academic achievement
- Students who are well rounded with active participation in co-curricular activities including sports, clubs, competitions with leadership attributes.
- The Academic Scholarship benefit amount will be substantial and will be applied to school fees. Scholarships will be awarded for the duration of the student’s education, provided the student fulfills the requirements to maintain the scholarship outlined in the “Requirements to maintain scholarship section”
- Students are only eligible for one scholarship
- Tuition at SIS is inclusive and includes a MacBook, Week Without Walls trip, field trips and all required examination fees. These costs are not additional and are included in the tuition fee
How to Apply
STEP 1 – Gather the necessary documents
The SIS Scholarship application is online. Before you begin to complete the application, make sure to prepare the following documents which you will submit in the first section of the application form.
2 Years of School Records in English (G9 - G11)
Standardized Testing Results (MAP, SAT, ISA, ETC…) If available
Copies of Awards Received (Scan and save as one document)
Recommendation Forms from the English or Math teacher *
Student’s and Each Parent’s Passport
Passport Sized Photo
*After submitting the application, you will receive a link to the parent account. In your account, click on “Student Details” and select “Student Recommendation Form” and enter the English and Math teacher’s name and email. The recommendation form will automatically be sent to you after you enter these details.
STEP 2 – Write your Personal Statement
You are to submit a 300-word essay, to be written by you, in response to this question:
“What is a special attribute or accomplishment that sets you apart?”
This is called your “Personal Statement.”
STEP 3 – Complete the online application form
Complete the scholarship application form directly online and upload your Personal Statement as a PDF document into the space provided within this form.
STEP 4 – FOR SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS ONLY – visit to SIS for further stages in the application process
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to SIS, at which time, they will write an essay, sit for a Math exam and an English exam, and attend an individual and family interview.
When to apply and other key dates
- January 28 to March 31: Application submission period – applications must be completed online within these dates.
NOTE: Qualified applicants who do not currently reside in Shenzhen and are not transferring from another school in Shenzhen may receive an extension submission date provided scholarships are still available. Contact the Admissions department for details.
- April 8 through April 12: Shortlisted candidates invited to SIS where they will write an essay, sit for a Math exam and an English exam, and they and their parents will attend an individual and family interview.
- April 22: Candidates will be notified of the status of their scholarship application.
SIS is looking for academically strong students who are well rounded and will contribute positively to the SIS community. Candidates are evaluated based on their past academic performance, awards received, participation in extra-curricular activities and their personal statement. Final scholarship award decisions will also take into consideration the results of the candidate’s essay, math and English exams and applicant and family interview. All applicants will be notified of their scholarship status and those students who do not receive an SIS scholarship may elect to apply for admission without a scholarship award. The scholarship award decision made by the school is final and may not be appealed.
Number of available scholarships
The number of scholarships that will be awarded will vary from year to year taking into consideration the number of available seats in each grade, the quality of applications received and the funding available to support scholarships.
Expectations to maintain scholarship
Scholarship awards are intended for the duration of the student’s high school attendance at SIS. Student’s must meet the following conditions to in order to continue to receive the scholarship.
- Student must maintain a high academic standing
- Student must consistently demonstrate a positive attitude and maximum effort in their learning
- Student must participate in the full school program including class field trips, Week-Without-Walls, and ASAs
- Student must show exemplary personal behavior and appropriately represent the image of the school
- Student must meet school’s attendance requirements, not missing more than 10% of school days
- Parents or guardians are expected to be positive school community member.
Deferring the scholarship
The scholarship is non-transferable and the term of study cannot be deferred. Should a student withdraw, the scholarship will be terminated and cashing out for the remaining value of the scholarship is not permitted.